Monday, January 17, 2011



In Defense of Los Angeles


More often than not I find friends or friends of friends that simply don't like Los Angeles. "The celebrity-effect trickles down to everyone," said one of my friends last night, "people are super aware of themselves, and the city isn't accessible. You are either 'in' or you're 'out.' People live in a dream."


Each time I find myself in one of these conversations, I defend Los Angeles - not because it was the city where I was born and raised, but because I sincerely think that whoever has a hatred for LA doesn't really quite take advantage of all that it has to offer, or understand something about its spirit. Sure, LA has its draw-backs. I loathe parking tickets, I hate the lack of options with regards to good classical music venues and concerts (this I think still doesn't compare with NYC), and I hate that the museum exhibitions are usually pretty randomly chosen and inextensive (I can't rely on a museum here to always have a good show; nothing here is equivalent to the Frick, MoMa, the Met - god forbid the Louvre).


BUT! But….. Let me say this. Los Angeles is a home of total luxury, youth, and freedom. I have space, I can breathe, I can do whatever I want on my own terms. Time does not move too fast or too slow. It moves at my own tempo - it doesn't force anything on me. There are few cities in the world that are like that. Los Angeles is one of the least stressful places to live in. It is the epitome of contemporary: mercurial, flexible, and perceptive. It only gives and breathes fresh air and sun; it doesn't ask for much. Unlike other cities, it is continually redefining itself. Large, expansive, so many microcosms in one - and yet still with the beauty of nature up in its hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment